... Living inspired by the beauty of life, one post at a time.

Sunday, October 13, 2019

Misadventure in Greece

So this year saw us take a Mother - Daughter trip to Europe. The trip I had been planning for so long that it felt like deja vu.

First stop was a quick 2 night stopover in Greece on our way to SANTORINI, the one Greek Island I have been dreaming about since forever. As we flew in to Athens at night, we stayed at the only hotel near the airport and we were not disappointed with the swanky Sofitel 200 metres away. Definitely a good recommendation.

The following morning we caught the train into Plaka and experienced our first pick pocketing fiasco. Having read up on the plethora of online travel forums about the alarming number of Pickpockets that frequented trains and specifically targeted tourists, I felt that I was sufficiently prepared. I had bought a travel bag with the necessary locks on all zips to deter any would be Pickpockets. However, you can't really imagine what traveling loaded with suitcases and bags is actually like until you are running for the train amidst the hustle and bustle of boarding passengers, navigating foreign signs, jam packed escalators, unbelievably long stairways and errant wheels on a malfunctioning suitcase. Leaving you all a little overwhelmed, decidedly hot and ridiculously bothered! The perfect scenario for the crafty Pickpockets out there just waiting for this EXACT scenario!! 

Therefore, being caught off guard myself, my daughter (being a little more savvy), noticed a clean cut gentleman getting a little too close as the train pulled up to the station. The doors whizzed opened, and we exited luggage laden. She looked back as I yanked my suitcase over the gap between the platform and the train directly eyeballing the man with my passport holder IN HIS HANDS! Being the fearless warrior that she is, she yelled out and everyone standing inside the train turned to see what the commotion was about. He dropped it straight away but the doors were closing. I could see it laying there all forlorn on the floor of the train. Panic stricken, I put my hand out towards it and miraculously a kind stranger whisked it up and into my hand just as the doors bumped together. Disaster averted!

We did end up having a rather nice day exploring the Acropolis and doing general touristy things in and around the delightful Plaka neighbourhood (despite being a little paranoid about anyone who came too close!) 


Parthenon
Acropolis


Temple of Hephaestus

The Erechtheum



Hans and Gretel, Monastiraki


4 'heart 2 hearts'…heartfelt comments here.:

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to mention that I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
In any case I'll be subscribing for your rss feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and may come back sometime soon. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...

I needed to thank you for this wonderful read!! I absolutely loved
every little bit of it. I have got you book-marked to check out new things you post…

Anonymous said...

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for Judi Bola

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing, kind words are sunshine to the soul!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...