... Living inspired by the beauty of life, one post at a time.

Friday, April 29, 2011

True beauty...the light within.


I am currently on a journey with my fifteen year old daughter to discover her true beauty. (It is an ongoing one!) In a media saturated world of unrealistic body images and body touch ups, developing a healthy self esteem and positive internal framework has been at the forefront of my mind. Trying to strike a balance between the fantasy of the fashion world and the reality of her actual world has been somewhat of a challenge. Body image has been a big issue for us as we navigate healthy body perspectives! The voice of a mother is somewhat drowned out by peer opinions, media images and the impending world views. Telling her that true beauty has more to do with the condition of the heart and soul rather than developing the persona's of a glamour gal, fashionista or bo - ho rock chick has been an ongoing process. Eyeliner, lip gloss and bronzer are a girls best friend right now.


The creativity of the blank canvas (aka the face) has been a fascinating discovery {yes...her words, not mine!} All this external exploration has been a whole 'nother' world, for me and her. Trying to hold her back has been like keeping a bull from a red flag. Impossible, I know!! I am not opposed to a little experimentation as long as the focus is more than just skin deep. We are still working towards this end and revealing the true beauty from within.


'You can take no credit for beauty at sixteen. But if you are beautiful at sixty, it will be your soul's own doing.' - Marie Stopes


I love this quote because it suggests that true beauty is something defined deep within the soul. It is not the fleeting beauty of youth but rather the unfathomable beauty of a tender heart, compassionate soul and a gracious spirit. It is the gentle unfolding of a magnificent and resplendent refinement that slowly unravels over time. Beauty is defined as - having qualities that give great pleasure or satisfaction, delighting the senses or mind. Synonyms associated with this word include one being - fascinating, magnificent, resplendent, statuesque and excellent. It is my belief that these qualities refer to the inside of who you are. That great big smiling soul.


'People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out. But when the darkness sets in there true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.' - Elizabeth Kuber - Ross

'My daughter -
You are beautiful
not because your tall or thin or lithe
nor because your hair is flat or smooth 
or if a smile is wide and even.

You are beautiful
because your heart is true
your soul is open
and the core of who you are is 
sweet and kind and good.'


'Your beauty was perfected because of My splendor which I bestowed on you.' Ezekiel 16:14 

'True beauty is a light that shines from within that touches the world with a warmth that illuminates the heart and ignites the soul in a tangible and welcome embrace.' - Kay Weight


© copyright k.weight 2011

Heart and Soul Pursuits - Click here.

11 'heart 2 hearts'…heartfelt comments here.:

CaseyWiegand said...

This post is BEAUTIFUL. As a mama of a little girl this is such a good post for me to read.thanks for sharing friend!!! Love & hugs!! Xoxo

April said...

I love this and she IS beautiful!!!

xoxo

Jami said...

You are a good momma! She will figure it out with you by her side ;)

Kelly said...

beautiful.
stinkin' media body images. who wants to look like a little boy?
real beauty absolutely comes from with in!
she's beautiful!

sarah said...

oh just beautiful, her and your heart for her. So excited (and a bit nervous) to go on this journey with my little girl someday!

Britt said...

this is so great!!! i'll remember this!

Sadie from allnaturalme.com said...

Thank you so much for this post ~ it really is wonderful to be connected to the beauty within...

and eyeliner's pretty fun too :)

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love the intentionality of your parenting and your relationship with your daughter.

Fondly,
Glenda

Anonymous said...

Plain beauty comes from deep within your core. Your inner-being begins to shine through and all of the artifice is pealed away to reveal your true self. My Lord has taught me that. I can now look at beauty from His Perspective and not the worlds.

When I see a beautiful woman - hence a physical beauty - it is good...but then I begin to dig deeper. Many times, it is sad to see the importance that person places on the artificial.

Your daughter, just by searching what 'true beauty' is, is realizing that there is more.

I am sorry I rambled on. This is a subject so dear to my heart :) that I just began to write and write. Please pardon my over use of the comment box :D

Mrs. M.

Unknown said...

As the mom of 2 young girls, I know that I will be in your shoes one day. You know, my daughter's memory verse for her Sunday school class basically says this: Men and women look at the face; God looks at the heart." I love how He gives us words to lay a foundation of what is truly important. Loved this post.

Amy Sullivan said...

As a mom to two little girls, I really connected with what you said here.

"The creativity of the blank canvas. . ."I love this.

Your daughter is beautiful, and I love reading posts from moms with older girls. Just to check out how you wise ones are handling it all. :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing, kind words are sunshine to the soul!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...